The CAT exam, also known as the Common Admission Test, is a computer-aided joint aptitude test for a 2-year MBA program from 20 IIM colleges and other prestigious B schools in India. The CAT exam is carried out every year on a rotating basis. In 2020 it was carried out by IIM Indore, and this year it is carried out by IIM Ahmedabad.
Details about the CAT exam including registration and dates are expected to be published in the last week of July. To learn more about the CAT exam, let us guide you through the sections below!
What is a CAT exam?
“What use is the CAT exam?” You may be wondering The first milestone an MBA candidate looks forward to is passing the CAT exam. The CAT exam is a highly competitive exam with only a handful of students entering the institute of their dreams!
The CAT exam is administered by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and is a selection test that is classified as a Access to business studies. Every year 2 lakh candidates appear for this exam, of which only 5000+ get their place in one of the prestigious IIMs or top B schools in India.
Before you come to the CAT exam, there are a few important details you need to consider. These details are detailed below.
Information on the CAT exam
First, you need to complete your registration process. Registration is a simple three-step process that includes:
- Online registration
- Completing the CAT exam form
- Payment of CAT exam fees
After that you need the CAT exam fee that’s INR 2,000 for the general category and INR 1,000 for the reserved category.
Some details of the CAT exam are as follows:
|CAT exam mode||On-line|
|Exam date (2021)||November (provisional)|
|Duration of the exam||2 hours|
|Sections in the exam||a) Quantitative ability
b) Oral skills and reading comprehension
c) Data interpretation and reasoning
|Medium of the CAT exam||English|
|Help desk email@example.com
CAT examination schedule
As mentioned above, the CAT exam paper is divided into 3 sections:
- Quantitative ability
- Oral skills and reading comprehension
- Data interpretation and logical thinking
A common factor affecting these sections in relation to CAT exam curriculum is that by 12th grade they require a clear understanding of a school curriculum subject. These topics include classes in English and math, as well as reasoning.
While there is no specific syllabus for the CAT exam, here are some pointers to help you prepare for the CAT exam:
- For the Quantitative ability Section that curriculum mainly covers topics from the standard algebra of 8-10, the number system, etc.
- The Oral skills and reading comprehension Contains comprehension passages, confused sentence questions, and sentence completion to test grammar.
- The Data interpretation and logical thinking Section is widespread and asks questions about sense of direction, seating arrangement, graphics, case studies, etc.
Preparation is the path to success in all areas of life. So all you need to do is prepare your heart and mind until you reap the results you are looking forward to!
CAT exam date
Here are some important details to keep in mind regarding the CAT exam date:
|Online registration (start date)||August 2021 (first week)|
|Online registration (end)||September 2021 (last week)|
|Admission ticket||Mid-October 2021|
|Exam date||November 2021 (last week)|
|Statement of results||January 2022 (second week)|
CAT exam authorization
In order to be able to appear for the CAT exam, you must meet the following admission criteria:
- Bachelor degree: You should have a bachelor’s degree by a recognized board of directors with at least 50% grades. For students of the a Reserved category, the minimum is 45% points. This is one of the most important admission criteria for the CAT exam.
- The degree must be obtained from one of the universities covered by any statute of central or state legislation in India, or any other educational institution established by a law of parliament, or be declared a university under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 or equivalent qualification recognized by MHRD, India.
- Eligibility for the CAT exam also includes candidates who are in the last year of her bachelor’s degree Degree, appear for the final exam or wait for the results.
If a candidate can meet these CAT exam requirements, they will qualify for the exam.
CAT exam pattern
The model of the CAT examination paper has been changed several times. Due to the Covid-19 crisis, In 2020, the CAT test duration was reduced from the usual 180 minutes to 120 minutes and there were 76 instead of 100 questions.
The CAT question paper is divided into three main segments: quantitative skills, verbal skills and reading comprehension, and data interpretation and reasoning.
To help you understand the exam template, read below:
|Number of sections||3|
|Number of questions||100|
|Duration of the CAT exam||180 minutes|
|Question type||MCQ and non-MCQs|
|Marking pattern||a) Each correct answer – with 3 points
b) Negative marking of 1/3 for each incorrect MCQ answer
c) No negative score for incorrect non-MCQ answer
CAT exam preparation
The CAT exam is one of the most competitive entrance exams. You might miss it, erasing it by the slightest margin.
To ensure solid preparation, you need at least six months of preparation time. So if you compete for it this year, your CAT exam preparation should ideally begin in May. But even if it doesn’t, here are some important ones Tips for preparing for the CAT exam that will help you further:
- Over 50% of the preparation for the CAT exam should include solving CAT mock papers and questionnaires from previous years. You need to address and work on your weak points.
- Refer to key texts for the three different sections of the paper.
- Create a list of topics based on your strengths and weaknesses and address the weaknesses.
- Take advantage of social media platforms like Facebook, Telegram, and YouTube by joining online study groups.
- Give equal amounts of time to the three different sections of the paper. Cover one topic from each section each day.
In order to pass this competitive exam, it is very important to understand and analyze the questionnaires from previous years.
The examination schedule remained unchanged from 2015 to 2018. There were 34 questions from the QA section, 32 questions from LR & DI, and 34 questions from VARC.
You may be amazed at the importance of this analysis. Here are some of their uses:
- It helps you understand the pattern of the exam. This will help you apply strategic plans to resolve these papers.
- It will help you understand the level of difficulty. You can find out which sections are more difficult and adjust your study plan accordingly.
- It helps you figure out the important topics so you can identify them and better focus on better preparing them.
Also read: PGDM vs. MBA | MBA after engineering | MBA according to B.Com
FAQs about the CAT exam
What is the full form of the CAT exam?
CAT stands for Common Admission Test, a computer-based test for admission to a Graduate Management Program.
How do I prepare for the CAT exam?
Over 50% of your preparation for CAT should include solving bogus papers. You need to address and work on your weak points. Refer to key texts for the three different sections of the paper. Create a list of topics based on your strengths and weaknesses and address the weaknesses. Take advantage of social media platforms like Facebook, Telegram, and YouTube by joining online study groups. Give equal amounts of time to the three different sections of the paper. Cover one topic from each section each day.
How often is the CAT exam carried out each year?
CAT is done once a year, usually in November or December.
What is the CAT exam for?
CAT, also known as the Common Admission Test, is a computer-aided joint aptitude test for a 2-year-old MBA program from 20 IIM colleges and other prestigious B schools in India.
Is the CAT exam only for an MBA?
CAT is intended for a 2-year MBA program. However, you can also apply for an MBA program on the basis of other management exams such as XAT, MAT, CMAT, etc.
Study Books ( प्रतियोगिताओ की तैयारी के लिए किताबे )
- Bestselling books for competitive exams (यहाँ खरीदें) : Click Here
- Book for Upcoming competitive exams (यहाँ खरीदें) : Click Here
- New releases in Exam prep books (यहाँ खरीदें) : Click Here
- Shop by competitive exams (यहाँ खरीदें) : Click Here
- Great Deals on Exam books (यहाँ खरीदें) : Click Here
- Best buys competitive exams, maximum savings (यहाँ खरीदें) : Click Here
- Buy Study Materials (यहाँ खरीदें) : Click Here
Important Notice ( महत्वपूर्ण निर्देश )
- Please always check official website before apply.
- कृपया आवेदन से पहले महत्वपूर्ण लिंक्स पर उपलब्ध अधिकारिक वेबसाइट के निर्देशों को ज़रूर पढ़ें )